Tuesday, December 6, 2011

30 weeks and a visit to L&D

I know, I said I would start posting more! I knew it wouldn't happen, but oh well. Lots has happened the last few weeks.

Thanksgiving went really well! All of the food turned out super yummy. My sister and I did a fantastic job, if I do say so myself! We also went Black Friday shopping where I picked up the baby's crib, changing table, glider/ottoman, and mattress for $436. He went from having nothing to having his whole nursery in three days. We had to start somewhere, right? :)

The last few days have been very eventful to say the least. We (finally!) went on our hospital tour last Friday night. It was nice. I was really nervous at first as there was at least 15 couples on the tour and I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to ask all the questions we wanted to, and we had a LOT. Luckily we all seemed to have the same questions, so they mostly got answered. The nurse who led the tour seemed really natural birth friendly and was really comforting, so that made us feel good. The rooms are nice too. It made everything seem so real! I can't believe we're 10ish weeks away from meeting our baby!!!

After the tour we went out to dinner with my family for my 24th birthday. I decided on Oregano's Pizza Bistro which is my favorite restaurant EVER. It was my parent's first time there and they really liked it so I'm glad. Now we can always go there, haha!!

Saturday I went out to lunch with some of my friends from school which was awesome. It's so nice to get out of the classroom and talk about other stuff than school. I got some new nail polish and a couple of gift cards to my all-time favorite store Ulta. Which I already used, haha! I'm not very good at saving gift cards, I always have to use them right away!

Sunday we had lunch with my dad's side of the family which is always nice. Sunday night is when the problems started :(. I was ready to go to bed when I started to have really bad back and abdominal pains. I thought they were just Braxton-Hicks contractions because I'm a first time mom and I know nothing, right? Oh man, was I totally wrong. The pain kept getting worse and nothing helped. We tried relaxation, massaging, showering and it was not getting better.

I had just gotten out of the shower when I felt like I had to throw up. I did. A LOT. I have never thrown up that much in my life before. It scared the crap out of Vince so he called the on-call nurse who had us come in right away when I threw up. AGAIN.

She told us to go to the ER and once we got there they would transfer us to the OB triage. We finally got into OB triage after being in the regular ER for what seemed like forever. As soon as I got in there, I threw up again. I felt so terrible, I was all by myself (they made Vince wait outside for awhile) and I threw up everywhere. I couldn't help it :(.

Long story short, after throwing up a million times more, becoming severely dehydrated, and a transfer to L&D, I was informed that I have really bad gall stones. Bad enough that I have to go on a strict low-fat/non-fat diet for the remainder of my pregnancy and I will have to have my gall bladder removed after giving birth. Other than that, the Baby and I are totally fine. It was just a really scary experience. I also feel a little guilty because since I want to have a natural, med-free birth, I have really tried to avoid drugs of any kind while being pregnant. I only take my pre-natal and the meds I've been taking for years to control my blood disorder. I think I've taken Advil twice the entire time. But Sunday night, I couldn't take it anymore. I was offered pain meds and after declining them five times, I finally consented to taking some Percocet. They had offered Morphine and Demerol at first, but I told them I felt really uncomfortable taking that when I was pregnant.

Like I said, I felt REALLY guilty for saying yes, but honestly, the pain was unbearable. I could not breath with out feeling like someone was stabbing me. But Vince was such a rock for me. When we were alone I had mentioned a couple of times wanting the drugs and he gently reminded me that taking pain medication wasn't what I wanted for my body and for our baby. We tried some more relaxation and massage, but the longer time went on, the more it hurt. When I finally told him I couldn't take it anymore, crying because it hurt so much, I could see that he knew I meant it, I wasn't just trying to take the "easy way" out. (I do NOT think that people who take pain medication for anything are taking the "easy way" out, that is how I feel about pain medication and solely my own opinion). I think this little trip to the ER in a way prepared us for our labor and delivery in February.

I want to give a shout out to my awesome husband, my mom for stopping at the hospital to offer Vince a break every now and then, my dad for coming to see how the baby and "his" baby were doing, and last but certainly not least, the awesome staff at Banner Thunderbird's L&D department: Judy, Paulette, and Kitty. You ladies were FANTASTIC and so helpful!!!

Now a quick update:

How far along?: 30 weeks, 2 days
Total weight gain: 15 pounds, right on track according to my doctor.
How big is baby?: according to my app, 18 inches long and weighs 3.2 pounds. About the size of a head of lettuce.
Stretch marks?: Yes, the circle of stretch marks is getting bigger! They’re not as red anymore, which I am telling myself is due to the Burt’s Bee’s belly butter I put on every morning and night.
Best moment this week?: Getting over my fear to buy the baby items. My family is really big on not buying the baby anything until right before the due date. I’ve started buying things slowly and putting them out of sight so I can’t see them.
Movement?: Oh yeah. My little man is so active! I can see him moving from the outside which is cool
Food cravings?: 
Now that I was put on a restrictive diet, everything they told me I can’t eat, haha!
Labor signs?: 
Nope.
Belly button in or out?: 
In, and it’s getting really weird and flat looking.
What I miss: My feet not tingling at the end of the day, closing my legs, being comfortable while I drive.
What I'm looking forward to: Our two class field trips in the next week and Winter Break.
Milestone: Finally getting over my fear of giving birth. I CAN do this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment